Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to treat unloading step 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsukuba

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2003
JP
I am just starting to use ANSYS. I want to simulate indentation cycle of loading and unloading. But I don't know how to use ANSYS in the unloading step. Should I superpose a problem of loading at max load with another problem of opposite load?
Your suggestions or comments are highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To simulate unloading, you have to create another load step file with load = @zero. Solve the solution for your earlier and this new load step.
I would suggest to do this trial on simple problem before applying to actual case.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Yogesh Birari

But I cannot understand the meaning of load = @zero in the last response. For example, if I do a trial for elastoplastic
problem of a cantilever beam with an end load, how can I create the unloading step file?

Many thanks

Tsukuba

It is greatly appreciated if you can give me a command line file for a simple problem such as cantilever or something else.

Thanks.

I think I got it.
If load=P for loading step, the load in unloading step should be load=0, not load=-P.
But why cannot I find any explanation in ansys documents?
Did everyone have to do a lots of trials to understand this point?!!!

Hi I have realized a similar problem, but adding a load step with no loading ansys automatically fix every node so I had to erase in the load step file *.s03 ... the rows that constrains nodes. Ansys had given me a solution but I havn't evaluate it yet.

Hi,dericcio,
Would you mind to share your successful experience with a ansys newbie?
Although I understand how to treat the loading and unloading, the convergency to simulate my
indentation problem is very bad.
I like to hear your message more, if you have a similar problem.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back