Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to two digits 7-segment counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syset

Electrical
Jul 7, 2002
JP
hi all

i have recently tried to build a 1 digit 7-segment display using 4511 to display number from 0 to 9, using a BCD rotary switch as input to the chip.
How can I build a 2-digit 7-segment allowing me to display counter value from 0 to 15, using a 4-bit rotary swtich?
I do not know what chip to use to convert a 4-bit binary number to two 4-bit BCDs to drive two 4511 each connected to a 7-segment. Are they other ways to do this?
Please help...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You use 2 of the 4511 to drive the 7-segment displays. Then you build a logic decoder to convert your 16 bit input into 2 sets of 4 bit outputs. The easiest way to do this is probably to use a programmable logic chip. I do not know of a single IC solution that is readily available.

One of the cheapest one chip solutions would be a Microchip
microcontroller. All of the development software is free, but you would need to build a programmer (schematics are on-line) or buy one. If you're going to do hobbiest projects in the future it's a good low cost investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back