Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use a microstrip antenna in MIMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhussain87

Electrical
Dec 17, 2008
US
Hello all,

I have designed a Microstrip Sierpinsk Carpet antenna and need some idea for how i can use it in MIMO?

Any ideas please!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are we supposed to tell you how to use something of your own design for an application we know nothing about?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

MIMO(Multiple Input Multiple Output) is a space diversity technique used to to increase the signal strength. This technique is widely used in 3G and WiMAX, and is going to be the technology for future communications.

I hope you know something about microstrip patch antennas, and the sierpinski carpet design. It greatly reduces the size of the antennas compared to what is currently used in WiMAX.

I need an idea for what to do to make it work in MIMO!!!

I understand what MIMO is, as well as microstrip antenna design, but you are still not asking a well-defined question. MIMO uses multiple antennas at both ends, but antenna type is not important. What specific issues are you having with the antennas in your application?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Doesn't diversity require something to be diverse?

i.e. diverse in quantity of antennas more than one, or polarization and pattern control diversity on your one antenna?

Isn't M for multiple in MIMO?

Maybe make a second antenna, hook up a second receiver or switch to add diversity.

kch

MIMO - Linksys and other sell WIFI routers and wifi network adapters that are MIMO enabled. They usually have 3 antenna that are spatially separated by a wavelength or more. I don't know if the pattern matters. What little I know about them is that they work better in an area where there are signal reflections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back