Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to use CONTACT CLEARANCE ASSIGNMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OscarPacheco

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2015
ES
Hello! I am running an explicit analysis and I have a warning type that says:
The elements in the element set WarnElemSurfaceIntersect-Step1 are involved in surface intersections. Refer to the status and message file for further details.
In the status file:
***WARNING: 1219 surface intersections have been detected after the completion
of the initial overclosure procedure (1200 were detected in the
original model). It may be neccessary to manually adjust the
configuration of the intersecting surfaces (e.g. via the *CONTACT
CLEARANCE ASSIGNMENT option). The elements involved in these
intersections have been added to the Abaqus/Viewer elset
WarnElemSurfaceIntersect. Check the message file for more detailed
information.

Please can any one tell me how to use *CONTACT CLEARANCE ASSIGNMENT option??
I am using the interface and I can't see it.
Thank you very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Open the ODB and highlight that set with the display group dialog. Then think for the reason of that problem. Maybe you've made an mistake during positioning of the parts, so they penetrate each other.

If you can't solve the problem, then check the Keyword Reference and Users Manual regarding contact clearance.

Thank you Mustaine3 for the answer.
That is exactly what I did.
Some elements of two surfaces that must be together intersect each other.
I have looked in the users manual and keyword reference but I can't see anything, just how to use that option using the code, but I am using the interface

So either you can resolve that penetration manually, or, if the automatic adjustment is not working, you can define what to do with that penetration with contact clearance. Here you could indicate, that the penetration is allowed and is not violation of the contact. How this can be done is explained in the manuals.

Maybe A/CAE is not supporting these options, so you have to do it in the keywords.

Hi,

I have the same warrning WarnElemSurfaceIntersect-Step1, but when I go the the display group and click on WarnElemSurfaceIntersect-Step1 and check highlight items in viewport, Abaqus doesn't show me the elements!

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back