Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how well could PLC's do DSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanclarke

Electrical
May 31, 2002
US
We have a DH+ network of about a dozen AB SLC5/04's throughout a domestic and wastewater treatment plant. There are several PC's on the DH+ network running SCADA software. I want to be able to design an IIR filter to process some of the data (analog inputs). Is it better to try to program a 5/04 to do this, or should i use a PC? thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on the complexity and time sensitivity of what you want to do. Most PLCs, and I think the SLC 5/04, have some standard analog input filtering functions but they may need some fairly simple programming to implement. If these do what you need then keep it in the PLC. You can also program some simple filtering yourself using math functions.

I would lean towards integrating the solution in with your existing PLC structure. This keeps the hardware in one place and typically PLC solutions are more reliable.

Chris Keith
ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back