Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How would g(gravitaional acceleration) affect vibration? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyong

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2001
This is not a practical problem. Rather, it is a problem to understand vibration in general sense a little more.

To calculate fundamental period of vibration, I often use Rayleigh approximation which is

T = 2* pi * [(summation(W*y^2)/(g*summation(W*y))]^0.5

where W=weight of each segment, y=deflection of each segment from stattic equilibrium position

Apparently it seems that g is a factor such that on the moon T may be much different. But if direction of vibtation is horizontal, I'm sure T will be the same. If direction of vibration is vertical, what will happen? Please tell me something I can learn. Thanks.

kyong

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hello kyong

in the sense that you are talking about, gravitational acceleration does not effect natural frequencies, as the basic formula is freq = sqrt( stiffness / Mass ) with frequency in radians / sec.

if you moved your system to the moon, yes g would change but so would the weight W by a proportional amount....it is the mass thats important and that doesnt change.

in a more complex train of thought.... acceleration CAN effect natural frequencies. for example, the natural frequencies of a propellor or turbine blade increase as rotational speed increases because there is a "stiffening" radial force due to rotation that tends to inhibit lateral vibrations....so the natural frequencies of turbine blades and propellors and such increase as rotational speed increases.

daveleo

Auto suspensions are designed so that the natural frequency is a direct result of the compression of the suspension by the sprung mass.

TTFN

If I can have a go

the compression of the springs in the system due to gravity is y=m*g/k (1)

m=W/g

Rayleigh says 1/2*m*r^2*w^2=1/2*k*r^2

so 1/w=sqrt(m/k)

w=2*pi/T

so

T=2*pi*sqrt(m/k)

So substituitng for k

T=2*pi*sqrt(m*y/m/g)

T=2*pi*sqrt(y/g)

BUT the only reason that g is in there is because y is proportional to g, that is, if you reduce g to 1.6 ms-2, then y would drop by the same factor, and the period of oscillation would remain the same.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back