Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hows does Abaqus calculate the Stress Intensity Factors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwcomposites

Sep 5, 2008
US
Dear All,

I have been calculating Stress Intensity Factors with Abaqus and they compare very closely with close form solutions, for different mesh densities and element types. The question I have is: would anyone know which method does Abaqus use to calculate Ks? The Abaqus Theory Guide only describes how the J-Integral is calculated.

Thank you in advance for your help,

-Francesco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

..just of curiosity , are you stress intensities in line with for instance with ones in API 579 ? how do they compare with published values ?
..This standards has an extensive literature regarding stress intensities and their application for fitness for service purposes.

take care and thanks

I have modeled a Compact Tension specimen and the calculated KI matches the value you can calculate using the close form solution, for instance from the Anderson's Fracture Mechanics: Fundamental and Applications book.

Anyway, I have answered my original question. Unlike other codes, Abaqus calculates the stress intensity factors from the J-integral, so it calculates the J-integral first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back