Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 48gx as a data collector - help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

crkranz

Structural
Jan 21, 2003
US
Here is the deal. I am an engineer for a small mining company and occasionally need to do a little surveying. I sometimes have to do small topo surveys and would like a data collector. I currently have a topcon total station and an HP48gx. Since I won't be using it that often - I would like to keep cost to a minimum.

What do I want/need to purchase to use this calculator as my data collector with the ultimate goal of downloading the data as points in Autocad.

Thanks much,
Chris K

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I prefer the SMI DC/CVCE card (Data Collection/Construction 5 Enhanced) for the 48gx. I use a Topcon total station with mine. You can find them listed on ebay and reasonably priced.

foresight is a program similar to autocad but is not necessarily required. i preferred this data collector (in my hp48gx) over the smi card.

i personally built many many millions of dollars worth of building with mine...always have the data backed up on the computer, total station, or second hp48gx. it sucks to have the only data in yours and then you drop the thing and it erases everything...oh, the sinking feeling you get when that happens on a large project where you kept putting off backing it up because you were too busy (i learned the hard way). good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back