Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP DraftPro Plus Plotter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptBob

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a working HP DraftPro Plus Plotter w/pens that I bought used with a old autocad 12 setup.

When I hooked it up to new computer running XP and Inventor 7 it takes for ever to plot anything as most lines are thicker then the pens and so it just makes dots forever :)

I guess I'm answering my own question in the old CAD programs, they were set up for pen plotters, when did the change come in the autocad from pen to design jet plotters ??

Is their any way I can use the plotter with inventor 7 or should I load AC 12 on it ???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CaptBob, I have been through this with a H-P DraftProEXL, using ExpertCAD 2D & 3D and AutoTRASH 2000. Through the learning curve I came upon a piece of software titled "WinLINE". It will plot from all the windows O.S, (I'm using Win2K Pro) and most any CAD program you have, including Windozs office which I can plot out any docs I create in Project 98. Goto and check it out. It is well worth the price.

CaptBob,

I understand what you're going thru, I'm in the same boat. A few years ago I got a good deal on an old 7550Plus plotter with a bunch of extra pens, and I figured I could use it to do the plots for the small drawings (11x17) that I was going to be creating. I didn't realize at the time that I wouldn't be able to use the plotter with my CAD program unless I had the Winline program installed. At $200 for that program, I decided that it'd just be cheaper for me to get a newer inkjet printer that takes 11x17 paper, is supported by Windows XP, has readily available ink cartridges, and it lighter, smaller, faster and quieter. It's just getting harder to justify keeping the old pen plotters operational, unless you have it already set up and running and it's fulfilling all your needs.

Now if there were a cheaper alternative to Winline, for say $40-$50, then I might be persuaded to keep the pen plotter running for a while longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back