Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HSLA RB-80 steel used in Unground Bearing Outer Raceways 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougs1967

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2013
US
Has anyone ever heard over unground bearings using outer raceways manufactured from HSLA steel. Any input appreciated. I have put forth alot of effort into actual life/load dynamic testing and comparing to standard bearings using low carbon grade steel stamped outer races that have been case hardened with basically no success even at 1/2 load rating applied to HSLA outer races. Bearings are running at 60 surface feet a minute for comparative testing, both grease and oil have been run still no success on HSLA. Heavy ball paths are worn into the HSLA. Thoughts anyone?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're making bearing races from HSLA without case hardenng, and you're expecting results other than early failure?

Why?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

This is something that upper mgt. has been having me test. The results are less than desireable. I need to clarify the HSLA we are using is not heat treated after stamping the raceways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back