HSS 14" minimum length for welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saver2008

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2008
MX
Hi!

I´m having the following problem: I need to put a HSS 14" as a column in some structural building. It is in the top part where there is no considerable weight to load. The problem is in the column lenght, I´m talking about 7 mts of required length. But the random length for HSS 14" is aprox 6.0 mts, I pretend to weld 6.0 mts length of HSS with a 1.0 mts length of HSS so I will have 7.0 mts total. My client is not allowing me to do that because he says it is out of world specifications. For this project there is no any particular specs but world specs. I´m searching if there is a spec or code (ASTM, AWS, etc) where it indicates that it is possible to do what I want to do.

What do you recommend me for that?

Thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There should be no limitation to CJP weld additional length to the HSS. A pre-qualified CJP will develop the full strength of the base material, effectively creating a homogenous piece of the required length.

This is done frequently with all shapes of structural material.

ToadJones, I do know, I think it must be related to AWS or any structural code but I do not know, I mentioned world specifications as once again AWS but I still do not know. what do you suggest?

Connectegr, you are right, I mentioned AWS because I thought it can be as a world spec or world code or something like that. I´m not too deep in this structural issues. I do not know where I can find a CODE OR NORM OR SPEC where it allows me to do what I plan to do. StrPE, where can I find that part that says "dis-allowed by code", What code are you referring?

Thanks to all!!!!

Doing a CJP weld on a HSS shape is sketchy at best in the corners. For your condition it sounds like no bending and light axial load so probably not a big deal.

Not everything in engineering has been codified, or needs to be codified, allowed or dis-allowed. There is nothing in any code that I am aware of that prohibits splicing two short members together to become one long member.

StrPE, thank you very much. So if you had a client that DENIES you to supply this column made by two members together, what´d you do? I was thinking to support this "solution" by a code or something related.

Thanks!

You should have an engineer provide an adequate splice detail for the two pieces. This should include the appropriated AWS weld information. Depending on the actual forces, a CJP weld may not be required. Without force information, a CJP weld will work. This detail provided by a licensed engineer should represent a viable alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back