HSS Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshields

Structural
Jun 17, 2008
US
The circled connection on this HSS and the other connections in general --

I feel like these should just be everyday fillet welds, but I'm not sure and I was hoping for a second opinion, would a flare bevel be proper to use for the joist to tube weld, (I know I'm showing fillet). Also are there any checks that are special to HSS and these type of welded connections, I couldn't quite find anything in chapter K of 13th ed. that seemed to fit this circumstance besides the 'transverse loading perp. to HSS axis checks' ...

I'm grateful for any insight, thanks guys & gals!

Scott

Scott Shields
Ghafari Associates, LLC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scott,
I don't know what you're doing but it looks a bit scary. Your WT weight per foot probably exceeds your joist weight per foot.

The weld of the chord to the HSS would be a flare bevel b/c of the radius of the angle legs.

The way the weld is called out, it appears to be 2 joists. I would delete one arrow and call out a skip weld as 3-8. That would get you two 3" welds, 8" c/c

I would also delete the lower portion of the weld symbol as the weld is actually on the other side of the HSS. You can add a "typ" tail to it to cover the other side of the joist, or just add another weld symbol.

BTW, if the CL of your HSS isn't on a panel point of the joist, you need to add an angle centered on the HSS at the joist top chord, down to the CL of the panel point on the joist bottom chord. I always add them in pairs to be symetric but I've seen others that didn't

Looking at your drawing, it would be handy to have a view of the end, but the members seem pretty massive relative to the truss members.

Dik

I know the members do seem large, this is a blow up of a connection. What we have is joist framing LH40's @ 10'-0" on center, so they're pretty beefy joists.

What we're doing is a year ago when we re-tooled this area of the plant, we added these joists and designed all sorts of header steel for the process job that would come eventually, the process job involved all the coolant , chilled water, and hvac piping, because the work was two seperate jobs (facility then process) and because we had to do facility first, we had to assume alot of the pipe runs and loads....fast forward to now, the contractor doing the process job doesn't want to pay for all the header steel, we orginialy designed, so we basically are re-engineering a 'flat-truss' that the pipes can hang and anchor to.

Similiar to the header steel, this truss is framing in at the same panel points on the joists, and because we sent Vulcraft our header steel layout with the pipe loads, I know the joists can take the loads. Its just a bunch of elaborate connections as these 'truss' members are in the same plane as the joists, only the HSS member (shown in sketch) and other connection members at other connections are actually above the joist. Those are the members that the angle anchors will connect to the pipes below.

I hope that is complicated enough of a description. THanks all!

Scott Shields
Ghafari Associates, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back