Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HSS - End / Cap Plate Weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFreund

Structural
Aug 14, 2010
US
Is there a 'best' or most economical weld for a cap or end plate connection to an HSS member?
Assuming the cap plate will take load similar to this lifting lug problem:

You could weld around the inside or outside using a groove weld or you could oversize the plate and provide a fillet weld. Is there one in particular that is better or ones that should be avoided?

I would preferably use the outside complete-joint penetration square (or V) groove weld with backing. Any issues with that?

Thanks

EIT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your tube thickness is less than or equal to 3/8", I would think an all around complete joint penetration butt weld would be the best. See joint designation B-L1a-GF for FCAW. Page 8-37 of AISC.

TDI, i think your weld would require a backer bar which Im not sure would be very easily done. in my experience, the fabricator has to make a plate that matches the inside shape of the hss to form the backing.

The cjp welds will, if im not mistaken, require a backer bar (not easily accomplished) or backgouging, which is not possible with a closed hss.

So with that, a pjp weld is probably a better way to go.

BUT, for 1/4" hss member thicknesses, it usually leaves you with an 1/8" maximum effective throat. see pg 8-55 for geometric limitations of the PJP BTC-P4.

If you can get away with it, a fillet weld will require no preparation that is usually required for CJP and PJP welds and will be the easiest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back