Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HSS Square groove weld effective thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpiermat

Structural
Mar 7, 2006
US
Hi!

Simple question:

When designing a square groove butt weld at the end of an HSS; Do I determine the effective Weld size as HSS Design Thickness (0.116”) – 1/32” Or should it be 1/8”-1/32”. The HSS is a 2x1x1/8

Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't need to provide weld size but gap distance on weld symbol. Note that you might need backing plate though.

I agree no weld size, I believe gap size is determined based upon method (So no need to specify if there is no reason). If I don't indicate a CJP, that would mean no backer bar.

However, I still need to calculate the effective weld size, for determining weld capacity, since I did not indicate a CJP, therefore it is a PJP weld.

I suggest to use bevel weld instead.

image_umpjsz.png

In your example would the effective size of the weld be:

1. Design Wall thickness minus 1/8"
OR
2. HSS Wall Thickness minus 1/8"

(Same question)

Thx!

If you are using grade A500 material, use the design wall thickness. The ASTM spec allows for variation in the wall thickness, up to 7% under the nominal thickness. The new A1085 spec removes this allowance, and design thickness is equal to nominal thickness.

Edited to add: I generally show PJP weld size on drawings without any reductions, and only use design thicknesses & adjusted throat dimensions in my calculations.

When you do calculation, use the true size. When you name the weld, use the customary size. Again, I don't think you need to provide weld size for this weld. The detail provided is a full penetration weld.

Yes thanks I will look into A1085. For the calculations, does the true size need to include the tolerance or not. This is the question. If per A1085 the tolerance goes away. I think I can use the full 1/8. The material is Stainless Steel. I will see if the new A1085 applies! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back