Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTD Drive Pulley Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

40caliber

Automotive
Feb 12, 2003
US
Can anyone assist me with the proper profile dimensions for an 8mm HTD drive pulley? I tried my SAE books but no luck. I am working on a drive kit for use in NASCAR and drag racing. Any direction would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Three points:

1. There are profiles other than HTD that will get you considerably higher power density; Gates Poly-Chain GT, for example.

2. You can normally find detailed profile information in manufacturers' catalogs. If you can't find it in the catalog, the belt manufacturer will probably be cooperative about supplying pulley profile information.

3. If you are talking about a drive for the turbo charger, you'll find adequate belts available. If you are talking about a drive to transmit engine power you will need a monster belt - 8 mm will not be heavy enough.

Many racecars use 8mm HTD belts for the dry sump oil system. If this is similar to what you're doing you may find the pulley is available out there without it having to be made.

check in the machineries
handbook. I remember getting
details about HTD belts and
sprocket guidelines. Are you
designing a special sprocket?
Goodyear did have a manual for
hobbing or shaping sprockets.

Thanks everyone, I was able to find what I needed on the RMA website. I was able to order a copy of the standards which had all the info I needed. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back