Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Huge drawing size, tried everything!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAlarm

Electrical
May 11, 2004
US
Here's the background, I'm creating a group of blocks to be used as our best practise. I inserted existing blocks and created new blocks in one drawing. I standardized the text style, size ect of every block. I then used "block" to convert them. After this, I used "wblock" to send them on their way. Well my problem is that each one of these blocks is around 700K!!! The size should be around 42K. I've purged and there is nothing there, I've searched and searched the wed for additional information about what's going on here and can't find a thing. I'd appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in Advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

which AC-version are You running?
Do You use an application?
Did You try "_audit" ?

Maybe You can mail an example,,,

Lothar

ADT 2004
ACAD 2002

I had the same problem and found it to be layer filters. Any time you copy/paste anything from a dwg that has layer filters, they all go with it and will increase the file size. Architects often use hundreds of them. Go to layer properties manager and look in the named layer filter box. If there's more than 3 filters listed, you've inherited them from another dwg. You can delete these manually (very tedious)but there is a lisp program that will take care of it in a second. Its called LFD.lisp and I find that I have to use it all the time because too many of our dwgs were affected by the time I found this. I found it on another acad forum, but I can email it to you if you like.

ssvbj,

Thanks for the tip! It's exactly what was "wrong". Boy did I have some filters in there WOW!!!!
I found a delete fileters lsp, and ran that. The drawing size went from 700K+ to 52K. This is a great forum that I just joined for this problem, now I'm going to make this place the first place I visit when I got a problem.

Corey

FYI

(defun C:LayerFiltersDelete ()
(vl-Load-Com)
(vl-Catch-All-Apply
'(lambda ()
(vla-Remove (vla-GetExtensionDictionary
(vla-Get-Layers
(vla-Get-ActiveDocument
(vlax-Get-Acad-Object))))
"ACAD_LAYERFILTERS")))
(princ "\nAll layer filters have been deleted.")
(princ))
(defun C:LFD () (C:LayerFiltersDelete))

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

I am having the same issue while using CAD 2000. How do I load and run the lsp? Do I type exactly as shown here? How can I check to see if I have a layer filter issue?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back