HV cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

johanz

Materials
Jul 19, 2004
NL
Hi,

just new on the forum: can anybody tell me what diameter cable would be sufficient for 50kV. The use will be *internal* in the human body for a mini- X-ray device. Power requirements therefore are low (<1mA) but safety is an issue as you can imagine

thanks
Johan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

50kV inside someone ?

Yikes I spend my qworking life trying not to let any electricity into me !

the implications of this are many, also you would be using a filiment supply to run the x mray device so you would have many voltages inside the person. Also frequency would be worth considering - capacitative and such effects on the body. Id be looking to used shielded grounded cable and some pretty decent insulation doubled on the cable just for safety. Problem will be the connections though and entry to the device how would you insulate that and prevent leakage.

Rugged

I don't think you'll find any "mini" 50KV cable. Even though your talking small power you need substantial insulation thickness for the voltage stress.

The Okonite solution is a good one. We use this cable for 50kV RMS applications with less than 5pC of PD present. Just make sure the terminations are built properly.

Inside the human body? Please be careful. You better be completely confident you have a handle on the current limitations. This cable might be too large if you are thinking micro. The terminations are at least 8 inches long!

-cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back