HV Connectors - Expansion Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeangel

Electrical
Feb 7, 2008
PT
Hi!

I have a situation where a customer plans to install an aluminum tube between 2 Measuring Transformers and in the middle, to support the tube I have 1 rigid insulator. To make the connection between the tube and the Measurement Transformer terminals I am thinking of using "Expansion" Type Connectors, to make the connection of the support column to the tube I must use a "Sliding" Type Connector or a "Fixed" Type ?

Thank you in advanced

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I picture the situation correctly, you have 3 supports for the bus. One at one measuring transformer (A) with an expansion terminal, one at an intermediate bus support, and one at the other measuring transformer (B) with a regular bus terminal. To avoid stress from expansion between the intermediate support and transformer B, you would need a sliding (slip) bus support at the intermediate bus support.

Hi jghrist, thank you for your reply. I had the following arrangemnet:
HV_Connectors_hx77es.png

One of them needs to be fixed or there’s a risk that the bus creeps one way or the other if the directional frictions differ at all.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

If you use a slip support, you only need expansion connectors at one of the transformers. Expansion connectors are a lot more expensive than regular terminal connectors.

A less expensive solution would be to use a regular terminal at the CT, a slip support, and connect the VT to the bus with conductor instead of rigid bus. You don't need high ampacity for the VT connection.

The bus must be going to other equipment in addition to the VT. You wouldn't be using the CT to measure current going only to the VT.

Another bonus of jgrhist's suggestion to use a conductor instead of rigid bus is that it may reduce the risk breakage during an earthquake. The conductor diameter would be sized to avoid corona discharge rather than on thermal capacity.

Hi! The customer does not accept the exchange of the rigid bus by cable. The solution to adopt will have to go through the use of a rigid bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back