Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HV OVERTEMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasMIKE

Industrial
May 31, 2011
US
Running a Bystar 3015 my gas cabinet keeps going into HV over temp, i have a small fan i have added to it that helps but if the fan goes off it will over temp on me......Krugtech i need help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While I am not familiar with that particular laser, I would suggest that you investigate cooling water temps, flowrate, any restrictions? Investigation of the hv power supplies for airflow restriction or coolant if liquid cooled. Failed ventilation fans? Some power supplies have a central heat exchanger with fans that flow everywhere. Some times this air is ducted thru the covers. One would hope you are not operating with covers open or removed. If you are getting hvps overtemps, you have a cooling problem somewhere in the unit and the power supply is shiutting down first to protect itself. Continued overheating will harm the longterm reliability of the unit.
Good luck

Scott

I really am a good egg, I'm just a little scrambled!

Make sure you are getting the recommended coolant temperature from the chiller. Check to ensure you have the proper levels of DI water as well. is anything else overheating?

I have a consistant chiller temp of 65.8 on my water, no errors or warnings at all on the chiller i have recently replaced one of the radiators in this machine in the HV cabinet i am not sure if it getting a good flow, our shop gets hot but if it was that i beleive every thing and both machines would over heat....

The last thing i would do is call a Bystronic REP, love the machines but there people and service is a different story, i beleive i have found the problem the water lines are .125 smaller than they should be, will replace and see how she blows.....

Ouch! I used to know some pretty good peeps that went there in apps. Liz and Jeff. Last I heard anyway.....(circa 2000)

Scott

They were a couple of people that worked in apps at our sister company Laser Lab outta Cincinati. I thought they went to work for Bystronic when LL closed. But then again, maybe it was Cinci that Liz went to work for...We used to call her Laser Liz. Very pretty blonde girl as well.

The HV cabinet an overheat for a number of reasons.

The gasmix or the voltages can be off to the point where the HV chassis runs so hot that the cooling system can't handle it. It's pretty easy to check, just run it up to 100% and look at the ballast tubes on the HV chassis. If the core inside glows a little dull red that's OK, bright red is not good. There's a filament in the core that glows a white color, don't pay attention to that, look at the core that the filament is in. We don't want to see anything more than a noticeable dull red at the bottom of the core. If they're bright red after a few minutes at 100% the cabinet will never run cool.

Flow restriction/radiator- Just crimp the hose to the radiator in the HV cabinet, the pressure gauge on the chiller should go up a few psi. If the outlet hose from the radiator is warm, this could also be a flow restriction. If the hoses are cold but the radiator is hot, the internal dividers in the radiator are rotted or broke their welds. Remember to go to 100% power while evaluating the cooling system performance.

Fans- There's either a long axial fan or a newer 2 squirrel cage fan setup in the top of the back of the HV cabinet, make sure you have a nice strong breeze coming from these. There's also 3 fans in the bottom of the HV chassis, see if they're spinning, they always are! some correctly, some windmilling backwards. You need to stick a cable tie in the fan and make sure its running the right way and at a good speed.

An interesting thing here is it's a 3000 watt laser. Bystronic sold a 3500 watt version (3500 was a failure) that uses the same cooling system. Whatever is wrong should be pretty obvious.

Dirt and dead fans are the number 1 killer when it comes to the Bystronic HV cabinet.

Feel free to call if you need further assistance. 706-627-7854 I'm not giving away all my tricks here.

HenryRollins- Stay gold brother!

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Mistake- I thought you had a 3000 watt, what wattage is it? What I said is true for all Bystronic HV cabinets except for the number of fans in the bottom of the HV chassis. 1500-1800 watt have 2, 2800, 3000, 3500 watt have 3 fans and the 4000 has 4 fans in the bottom of the HV chassis. as mentioned before you also may have 1 or 2 larger fans behind the radiator in the top of the back of the HV cabinet.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back