Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HV Protection Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahr35181

Electrical
Sep 8, 2003
GB
I’m looking for a course, preferably in the NW of the UK on HV protection systems (nothing too intense though!!). Powersystems do a two day course which seems to fit the bill, could anyone advise on any other training courses?

Thanks,

Alan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My background is in ANSI regions, but allow me to comment on a basic but universal tenet that may get overlooked in the training process—that is the basis for most other aspects of electrical safety. It is crucial and fundamental that a trainee/worker be able to determine the voltage class of electrical gear before any attempt to closely examine or contact the equipment at hand is permitted.

Reports of grisly injuries and loss of life continue to periodically resurface—even though it is easy to assume that should never happen in our supposedly advanced industry.

busbar,

"It is crucial and fundamental that a trainee/worker be able to determine the voltage class of electrical gear before any attempt to closely examine or contact the equipment at hand is permitted".

In the UK, work is only carried out on HV equipment after the equipment is made dead, isolated & earthed by the use of a switching programme & the isuue of a HV permit to work. Where I work all HV subs are kept locked & keys are only held by HV authorised people who have the experience / training to operate the switchgear safely & know not to carry out any work (including testing) without a PTW.

Ahr35181

WTI Training at Burn Hall in York offer protection courses in addition to other HV,LV,BS etc courses. Their contact details are:

Customer Services 01189 407878
customer.services@wti.co.uk

Aquilla (formerly MEB) offer all types of HV training as do East Midlands and all the old REC's. Schnieder also offer a variety of courses on their website.

When I return to work on Monday I will try to dig out the contact numbers I have and reply again.

Comment on Ahr35181 (Electrical) Feb 1, 2004 marked ///\\jbartos,

"Comment: The big company trainings can get though."

Would you please translate?
///I be your pardon. It was meant to be tough, meaning demanding; especially on specifics.\\
Cheers,

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back