Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hybrid Battery Life and replacement Cost 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJMurphy

Electrical
May 2, 2001
US
About 3 years ago there was a thread ( thread71-19102 ) about the life of hybrid vehicle batteries. Does anyone have any recent information along that line? Also, any idea what it the parts and labor would cost to replace the batteries?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Guys,
Let me add my 2-cents to your posts. The promise of Hybrid technology is real. Today, you can modify your Prius to get about 100 miles per gallon (look up PHUV) on Google. The point of the current generation hybrid is prove that it is a viable technology. Ford does use the Toyota configuration, but be careful on suggesting that it should match Toyota's specs. Ford to did not buy the rights to software and uses their own logic motor controls. As far as the $12,000.00 car goes, Honda's Hybrid Civic only costs about $3,000 more than the gas engine model. The Hybrid Civic is a more advanced design than the Prius Technology. It is suffice to say that Toyota's Atkinson-Miller engine does not fair well when matched against Honda's IMA design. Finally, although hydrogen cars are on the road today (Honda Civic Hydrogen) a 2005 conference in Alaska of industry leaders from all aspects of automotive technology beleive that a biodiesel powered hybrid will be the most likely configuration for the next 30 years.

I just checked the honda website $22,150 for hybrid and
$15,560 for dx. 5 speed is $1000 less
$17,510 for ex. 5 speed is $1000 less
$19,260 for lx. 5 speed is $1000 less

If you want to compare apples to apples, you would have to use the lx auto model. The difference in price is $2890 and at $3.12 a gallon that would equate to 108,100 miles to break even on the money you spent on the hybrid. Then comes the possible cost of batteries. Not to mention the 30 less HP lost by getting the hybrid. I can only afford the ex 5-speed. People buying civics are usually people that don't have a lot of money. So i cant see people spending $22,150 on a small car.

For that kind of $$$ you can get a LX Special Edition Accord.

I think that similar arguments were probably leveled against the automobile when it was in its infancy. Maybe it is still a bit early to judge.

In any case, there are other advantages of this vehicle beyond mileage:

Roughly speaking, in any congested area, half the cars oin the road are simply idling at an intersection. This causes lots of pollution right where people's noses are. Because hybrids often shut off when not moving, they reduce this problem - making hybrids better "city cars".

Currently a debate is raging in a stinking, polluted area of Indonesia, where owners of antiquated and heavily-polluting motorized rickshaws are resisting the forced introduction of clean and modern engines. Many of their arguments sound a lot like anti-hybrid arguments. See:

Excellent point woodbot.

Though I am in Rods camp on this issue, I am thankfull we have the opportunity to disagree, for if we didnt, it would mean technology has stalled.

So, until a Gvt. agency decides to crush Rod's car, or decides we all should drive a Prius for the cause, perhaps we could all enjoy the technology we love.

Personally, I still am looking for a nice, small 4 cyl common rail diesel to stuff into my 1995 K2500 extended cab.

Basically all I am saying its a waste of money when you look at it from cost savings point of view. Its not a waste if you look at it from a "feel good" (green peace, democrat)point of view.

Here is the deal with buying a hybrid in this relatively young industry. Will you save money in the long run? Probably, if you drive it more than 5-6 years. Is it efficient and green? Yes. But the real difference you make right now is supporting a growing industry that will only thrive on consumer demand. As consumers, we can only drive efficent, environmentally concioius vehicles if we tell the car makers that they will make money by producing them. End of story.

Those who purchase these cars now are doing us all a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back