Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hybrid V/s Non Hybrid modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

CADone

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2007
Hi,

1. Which of this is more advantageous to follow?
2. If somebody started a model in hybrid, Is it a good idea to change in between and continue modelling?\

Thanks
BMR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How far along is the model? Skill level - would the majority of people know how to model using a different method? Do you anticipate many changes to this model?

IMHO,

1. Hybrid Mode is better because of grouping and sub-grouping and forced Ordered Geometric Sets.
2. I've found it impossible to convert a Hybrid PartBody into a non-Hybrid one.

That said, I only recommend using Hybrid Design if 1)everyone in your company uses it, and 2) you're just starting to use CATIA, and 3) you're suppliers won't have a problem working with your hybrid models

Thanks for the sharing your thoughts. I have noticed that most of the time, I find that we get to work with models somebody else worked on. Here, i see that it is already started in a Non-Hybrid mode. Though I want to use Hybrid method, I am forced to go the other way.

Do guys follow anything different in this situation.

Thanks
BMR

BMR - I don't share Jack's enthusiasm of Hybrid models. The only automotive supplier i have seen on Hybrid happens to be the #1 maker. All others (that i have worked with)are non-hybrid. #1 in aerospace uses non-hybrid. I would check with your supplier if you must send files back.

Regards,
Derek

Hi,

I agree with DBezaire. All my friends don't recommend to use hybrid design. Even in some customer enviroments, you don't have a possibility to use it, because it's switched off.

best regards
Michal77

I second DBezaire's comments. Hybrid Design is very restrictive in a design context. I prefer to create my own system of organization, rather than being forced into (forced) ordered sets. The creation order of certain things - like wireframe -(in my opinion) should not matter on most design jobs.

The amount of data generated by Hybrid design (which cannot be isolated or removed) can also be overwhelming...

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

You are lucky enough to work for a company that has this procedure spelled out, obviously. Not everyone does. In fact, many companies don't even know what "hybrid design" is. Therefore, there is no constraint on the designer to use or not use it.

I have over 65 companies on my active customer list, and I doubt that even 20% would know what I meant by "hybrid design", much less have a procedure in place to define its use. You may or may not believe this, but I deal with it every day.

FWIW - I have never had a customer request hybrid design.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back