Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydotest Prior to NDE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppmsb2008

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2007
AP
Hi,

Anyone got experience doing hydrotest prior to NDE? Was informed this is violation of ASME B31.3.

In order to expedite the project, we plan to do hydrotest prior to NDE on selected services and pipe class.

Thanks

ppm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I'd say its a little more than a violation,
its a FLAGRANT violation.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Besides being a violation of Code, what would happen if you found defective welds (almost a certainty) and they had to be repaired? You would be required to hydrotest after making the repairs - not too expeditious!!

I've really just got to say if I saw that proposal, I'd immediately go for the shotgun.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

As stated by many others, this is a major code violation. Essentially, not to put to fine a point on it, you could potentially be sacrificing safety for the sake of expediency in accelerating the project schedule.

Depending on the service and pipe class, NDE may not be 100%, sometime only 5% or 10% prior to doing hydrotest. I presume this risk is also allowed by code?

Well, if its only 10%, then do it before hydrotest.
Remember that a 10% rate is a spot check and, if you happened to find 1 bad one, that 10% would be increased, so that increased percentage would have to come before hydrotest too.

How do you think you're going to do 10% after hydrotest anyway?

Look at the danger involved: NDE is there BECAUSE some welds fail.

(Not many of "mine" of course! - well, the ones that my crews actually so - but over time you will lose a certain number of welds. So, what are going to do when (not if, but when) a weld or joint fails during the hydro test and you break parts of steel off into somebody's head, neck, or torso?)

I have a question about this. I think that B31.3 allows for a hydrotest in lieu of NDE. However, as you get to it depends on the situation whether this is wise or not. If you were doing a relatively low pressure application with extremely low likelihood of failure on a piping system (low cost) where failure would likely result in little to no appreciable action, then why would a hydrostatic test not be done in lieu of an Xray or other test?

The OP's question implied he had NDE requirements that he should have been putting before hydro, so we all assumed welding was the method he would use to make the joints.

The only escape clause I know of is, if you are NOT doing any welding, brazing on any joints in the system and of course not working with elevated temperatures or high cyclic stress, etc. If you are clamping, or screwing pipe together or somehow otherwise making joints that require no welding and brazing, then only a leak test is required; see paragraph 345. If that's the case, no NDE is required at all, so do the leak test before you do any NDE :)

If you had a piping system with such a low probability of failure as you describe (welded or not) and that little a chance of doing damage, or causing harm to persons, company, or property and repair cost would be insignificant, then why worry about any testing at all because its doubtful that your piping would be covered by any code or regulation anyway. So if no code or requlation applies and the engineering specs don't specify NDE and, if the owner agrees with you, go for it.

"The problem isn't working out the equation,
its finding the answer to the real question." BigInch

Hydro test is a form of Non Destructive Examination. Also, NDE covers the gammut from UT to RT to Dype Pen testing. So my question to the OP is - what NDE is required on your system? If it is RT or LPT or UT of the welds, then it must be done prior to hydro.

like a weld test.

11-1410285440T.jpg

BigInch,
Good one! We used to have at least one pipe blow up during hydrotest of new gas pipe line installations when pipe was shipped by rail - so much for the nondestructive part of hydrotesting.

Hydrotest is NDE only when luck is on your side.
That's a vessel ... strength test.

Something about steel wheels rolling on rails. Every crossing of an expansion joint must go straight to the pipe.

Not Do Enything

Just kidding.

Really, its kind of like Non-Destructive Testing, but some people think that if you only look at it, or don't actually perform a "test", then it should just be called "Examination". Non-destructive Examination.

I see NDE and NDT used interchangeably. To my mind (maybe not the best reference point) NDE includes performing the actual test as well, otherwise how can you examine it?.

Cheers,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back