Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydraflow hydrographs problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter82

Civil/Environmental
Jun 4, 2007
US
I am new to Hydraflow and I wanted to check everything that I have been working on. Hydraflow is giving me a time to peak discharge of around 13 hours, but by hand calculations I get a time to peak discharge of 1.5 hours. My time of concentration is 78 minutes-maybe I am wrong here but I thought my time to peak discharge would be closer to my time of concentration than 13 hours. I can't figure out my problem any sugggestions
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're using the SCS/NRCS runoff procedure with a 24-hour rainfall distribution, the peak rainfall occurs at 12 hours. The peak runoff will occur sometime after that, depending on the Tc. So a peak runoff at 13 hours sounds OK.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

I almost never used the pond wizard because a regular geometry did not fit with the draws that my basins had to go into. If you have a flat site, sure go ahead and use it, but I suspect it'll take as much time trying to make the site grading fit the pond wizard design as it would've do it by hand. If you do use the pond wizard, make sure you have constrained it with the drainage regulations - pipe size, v-notch weirs, etc. and that you are designing something that will be practical to maintain.

Well, I agree with the constraints that you mentioned. However, I feel that it is good in estimating the required volume that you will need. After that you can design your pond as necessary and import the design contours into the pond function to get the exact design. Otherwise you have to guess and check on your required volume.

On a flat site it's easy to reproduce the stage/storage relationship of the pond wizard, but in a draw that can be tough. It really depends on the geometry of the site. I'm not belittling the tool, just pointing out that sometimes it is not a time-saver. You should still check your final pond geometry, regardless of how you got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back