Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

hydraulic bolt tensioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2011
ID
hi all,

anybody know when should we use hydraulic bolt tensioning in flange management work based on ASME or API codes ?
please help me for the answer based on "codes" not based on "opinion"

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure where you are located in the world, but for a Standard to become a Code, it must first be given the force of law by a local or regional jurisdiction with appropriate authority. On that basis, without knowing where you are, it is impossible to know what you mean by Codes.

That said, there is nothing in the ASME B31 piping Codes/Standards or the ASME Section VIII pressure vessel Codes/Standards that address this level of bolted flange joint assembly specificity.

ASME PCC-1 is not a Code in the manner that I described above, but it is an internationally-recognized Guideline. It provides some recommendations that may address your question. I believe that the 2013 Edition has recently been released, so you might want to check that out.

As someone sad a few weeks ago, "Codes" are there to unsure what you are desiging doesn't fail. They rarely impose conditions on how it should actually be built or installed.

As TGS4 quite rightly states, there is nothing in the ASME or API codes AFAIK that states any bolting has to be undertaken in a specific manner. Individual companies are free to decide they want certain things done in certain ways, but these are not universal.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back