Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydraulic diameter of finned tube 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engprofile

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2009
NZ
Hi,

I am trying to determine the hydraulic diameter of a finned tube but I am unsure how work this out. I have attached a diagram showing the tubes and dimensions. The distance between the ends of the fins is 0.5mm. If someone could help with this simple problem that would be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

About improving your sketch to show fluid passages and to identify what's what with the horizontal and vertical elements. Right now there is no way of knowing what the fins do.

There are various "equivalent" diameters used for estimating the Nusselt and the Reynolds number, beside d[sub]o[/sub]. Here is one taken from the literature:

Hydraulic equivalent diameter of finned tubes (d[sub]He[/sub])

d[sub]f[/sub] = external diameter of fin
d[sub]o[/sub] = external diameter of bare pipe
p = face-to-face distance between adjacent fins
t = fin thickness

d[sub]He[/sub] = [(d[sub]f[/sub][sup]2[/sup]- d[sub]o[/sub][sup]2[/sup])/2p + d[sub]f[/sub]t/p + d[sub]o[/sub](1 - t/p)] ÷ [1 + (d[sub]f[/sub] - d[sub]o[/sub])/p]​

Great thanks, I will try these and see what sort of results I get.

I have found another correlation in the wolverine handbook which can be used to calculate the heat transfer coeffiecient on the air side without the need for working out a hydraulic diameter.

Makes things a bit easier but I will try and work out the h value using the hydraulic diameter to get reynolds number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back