Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hydraulic positioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecoop

Mechanical
May 16, 2006
US
Has anyone ever used a hydraulic positioner for a control valve? Does anything exist?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydraulic actuators are fairly rare and I don't believe I've seen a positioner on one. That said, the unit would serve the same purpose of feedback to the control loop and the ability to not rely on benchsetting the actuator. I use to not spec postioners until I put in a "tight" seal (low packing loss) valve. The hystorisis (sic) was terible, the valve jumped everywhere. The positioner cured it.

Hydraulic servos are pretty common in the power generation industry for modulating duty on governors, MSV's and reheat valves. They're also used on valves off the tubine itself in similar applications where a modulating valve is required with very high force, good accuracy, and long service intervals.

One of the more common servo valve manufacturers is Moog. Their servo valves are often seen married to third party cylinders from the likes of Rexroth, Vickers, Parker, etc, although they also produce their own cylinders.
Feedback to close the loop is usually from an LVDT or a magnetostrictive transducer on the cylinder, while the servo controller itself could be either an OEM product embedded within a larger control system, e.g. Emerson's QVP card for their WDPF DCS system, or a stand-alone item from the likes of Moog.

If you are looking for a self-contained package more akin to a traditional valve positioner, have a look at Rexa's offerings. If you give it electrical power and a demand signal it behaves much as a positioner. Failure modes to mimic OAF / CAF / stayput can be designed in as required.
Finally, forum1083 is probably the best place for your question - get some advice from real pro's instead of me!

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Backing off slightly from servo valves, you can use proportional valves to get the same result at less than half the cost.

Servo valves have a faster reponse time and lower hysteresis than proportional valves. But if the system is closed loop and the position of the hydraulic cylinder is known, a good proportional valve will do the job.

It will just achieve the correct position slightly slower.

Adrian

Hello Leecoop,

Valcontrols from Denmark produces medium independent positioners for the oil and gas industry. See - Control signal is 4-20 mA.
- Valve position feedback to positioner is 4-20 mA.
- Output is 2x 24 VDC (1 solenoid to open / 1 to close)
- Power supply is 24 VDC

M.v.h.
Terje

Forgot all about BTG who now appear to be part of CCI these days. Have a look at:

We use something similar from the BTG days which is reasonably good at its job. It lacks the finesse of the precision servos on the turbines but costs significantly less too.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Hi Leecoop

I'm an employe at Val Controls in Denmark. We manufacture and sell a lot of hydraulic positioners.

Our main focus is the oil and gas industry and in the oil and gas industry they use a lot hydraulic actuators.

We manufacture Hydraulic positioners for both Offshore, industry and Subsea. And are able to deliver positioners certified to EEx i or EEx d.

So if you are looking for a positioner for a hydraulic actuator, please give me a call.

Best regards
Carsten Toft
vc@valcontrols.com
Tel. +45 75470600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back