Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hydraulic Pump Selection - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonglows

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2020
US
I am looking to generate pressure in vehicle brake lines using a hydraulic pump. This pump needs to be able to pressurize the brake fluid to a specific pressure up to 1600 psi, and I was curious as to what might be the best pump to do this. Currently I have been looking into vane pumps Link, however since there will be very little fluid displaced, I am not sure how well this will work. Ideally, the pump should be able to hold a constant pressure in the lines depending on the input. This is my first time working with pumps so any advice is appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would start with an off the shelf ABS pump from a car. It's designed specifically for this application and much less expensive than anything industrial.

A vane pump would generate a lot of heat when the pump is in standby. A variable displacement pump such as an axial piston pump might be a better choice.

@TugboatEng It appears that you need a master cylinder with the ABS pump. To clarify, this will be an independent braking system from the car to use with disk brakes on trailers. We were looking into axial piston pumps as well but they seem to be much more expensive. i.e We are looking into similar solutions for an electric over hydraulic brake actuator.

@Ted, Thanks for the reply. Essentially I am looking to design and build my own EHB actuator, so to rephrase the question, what would be the best type of pump to accomplish this? Axial piston pump?

I think you might be better off asking or looking in the automobile engineers forums which look fairly busy. Or the fluid power forum which deals with hyraulics

This is a very specific use whereby you need to control pressure and generate pressure very quickly but only for short periods.

This pump forum is mainly where you need to generate flow for long periods.

I think you might also need to consider using a fluid reservoir which you keep at high pressure and then control the pressure using a valve.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I think you might be better off asking or looking in the automobile engineers forums which look fairly busy. Or the fluid power forum which deals with hyraulics

This is a very specific use whereby you need to control pressure and generate pressure very quickly but only for short periods.

This pump forum is mainly where you need to generate flow for long periods.

A well phrased question has answers in itself!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back