Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hydro Turbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMEng

Nuclear
Jun 19, 2000
US
This is a bit out of my field. Maybe someone can help me out with this. I do volunteer work at a water powered up and down saw mill built some where between 1850 and 1870. It’s turbine driven. Probably a crude Francis Wheel. I’ve been there 10 years. We have 5 speeds for the saw, but have never been able to run it faster than the slowest speed. We pulled the turbine out of the casing last week and found the following: Although the water enters the casing on the right hand side, the blades are pitched to catch the water coming from the left. In other words as the flow enters turbine area it strikes what I would consider the back of the blades. I asked James Leffel & Co. if this might be one of theirs; no luck. Any hydro types out there have an idea who might have made this? Does this blade configuration make sense to anyone? Pics of the turbing on request.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greetings Friend<br><br>What you describe may simply be the result of a error in reassembly during a previous service/inspection. If you could send me some pictures and/or drawings to <A HREF="mailto:billy@mail.austasia.net">billy@mail.austasia.net</A> , I might be able to throw some light on your problem.<br><br>Bilbo

can you send me some photographs at <A HREF="mailto:gmazumder@yahoo.com">gmazumder@yahoo.com</A> then i will be in a position to comment and the remedial process to be followed for the same.<br><br>regards

As with your previous responses - send through photos - of both the turbine and casing and the external configuration of the drive shaft, and I can comment.<br><br>Regards<br><br>Kevin Hodges<br>Electrical Engineer<br>Genesis Power (New Zealand) Limited

As with your previous responses - send through photos - of both the turbine and casing and the external configuration of the drive shaft, and I can comment.<br><br><A HREF="mailto:kevin.hodges@genesispower.co.nz">kevin.hodges@genesispower.co.nz</A><br><br>Regards<br><br>Kevin Hodges<br>Electrical Engineer<br>Genesis Power (New Zealand) Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back