Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydroblasting fuel storage tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk1

Aerospace
Jun 4, 2001
US
Does anyone have any experience cleaning large (150,000 bbl)storage tanks using high pressure water blasting prior to painting new tanks? In lieu of sand blasting.
We are looking for a vendor to clean new tanks, located in east central florida.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the original paint system, the age of the original paing and the recommendations of the new paint manufacturer. For old paint I don't think there is a coating system that will give you any guarantee without blasting. Try Sherwin Williams industrial coatings.

We are building the tanks now, and are trying to plan the final cleaning before primering and painting. We understand there is a system in use in europe that water blast the tanks instead of sandblasting.

jfk1
We occasionally use a shotblaster with water injected into the blasting nozzle (a hosepipe to the nearest tap)- it does not seem to lessen or change the blasting efficiency but it eliminates the dust problem which can be a big problem at times(if blasting old lead based paints). The only trouble is its more difficult to sweep up the spent grit and, the surface is then wet and starts to rust, so you then turn off the water for a few seconds and clean off the rust with dry blasting. It is surprising how little water is needed. There is the age old debate - - is it safe to grit blast inside a "no flame atmosphere" as might be in a refinery. I have a copy of a report where serious testing was done to prove that Grit blasting cannot cause an explosion - - nevertheless in our experience it is regarded as "hot work" and not permitted' Its interesting that the "Wet blasting" still makes sparks , continuously and clearly visible.
Hope this helps.
CM

On a recent project (1.5MM bbls in 9 tanks), we purchased the steel for the tanks with prime and intermediate coatings. The recoat time for the final coating was 1 year and all the paint vendor required was a water cleaning.

Depends on the coating specs. I do not think you could get a 'near-white' blast with water. I might be wrong, though

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back