Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrofluorosilicic Acid/Fluorosilic acid and HF(aqueous)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMetals

Materials
Aug 22, 2014
US
Does anyone have any experience with HFS(FSA)? I am trying to figure whether or not, corrosion data will be close to that of aqeous HF against Ni-Cr-Mo alloys like C276. I know Monel 400, is highly resistant to HF, and I have found some data to show that C276 and monel are good, but also Ni-Cr-Fe alloys can also be resistant. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isn't FSA the product of the wet phosphate process that is then further processed to yield HF?

You might try the MTI publication MS-4 on Hydrogen Fluoride and Hydrofluoric Acid.
(Materials Technology Institute of the Chemical Process Industries,Inc., St Louis MO)

This is real touchy, what concentrations, impurities, and temperature and all critical.
As I recall 400 has limited use because of the risk of SCC.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Yea that's what I found out that HF is derived from, but I actually found some data in Corrosion Data Survey from NACE that showed as 400 having good resistance and c276 having a little less good, but like you said all the other factors need to be known. I did not find that much information on FSA in particular in the MTI material selector books so I started digging else where. Thanks for the reply!

I believe that alloy G30 is used in this application. You might look for papers on this grade and see what connections you can make.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back