Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrofoil modifications to a two man fishing boat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkHorse

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2002
GB
Does anyone have plans for simple hydrofoils that can be added to a simple two man fishing boat ? I have seen these things in photos and these boats are right out of the water with only 5-10 HP. If not, can anyone show me a source of the basics required to make my own ? Thanks for your help in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you ever find the info that you were looking for? I want to do the same thing so if you've found any information that you can share I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

There were plans for adding hydrofoils published in Science and Mechanics Magazine (Feb 1960 issue) and Popular Science (June 1960). These issues occasionally go up for auction on eBay, and there are various places to find old magazines for sale. Mike Stevenson's Back Yard Yacht Club offered plans for a small hydrofoil up until they ran out in 2000, and this was not reprinted. Someone told me that the same plans were published in Argosy Magazine in the early 1970s, but I cannot verify that or cite the specific issue. Grumann Aircraft offered a kit called Sea Wings in the late 1950s, some of which may still be around unused in garages and attics. There is an article about them the The Rudder magazine (Aug 1958 issue).

Here's what I've got with all my research so-far:
Only plans on the net are at:

They were fitted to a 10' x 4' boat - I'm still
trying to find the plans
for the boat that the above hydrofoils were attached
to. They're in the
April, 1960 issue of Science and Mechanics. Similar
boat plans can be
found at:

At one time kits were sold back in the '61 & '62 for
$375, but only 80
were sold so my guess the going price if you could