Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hydrogen from coal - it's like magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yet this article says the magic wand starts with hydrocarbons, not coal waste, which at least explains where the hydrogen comes from

whereas WV coal comes in at 5% hydrogen

Hydrocarbons are 12-25%

Obviously using coal waste ticks far more boxes than hydrocarbons, politically.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

"quantum reformers" to transform coal ?? what kind of talk is that ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

When the basis for the press release is coming from politicians and the company seeking funding, of course they are going to make it sound like the panacea we know it's not. Please understand the quantum reformer is just the next generation, in a long and prestigious line, all starting with the turbo reformer and with the advent of digital technology the hyper reformer and now, salient of our day and advances in technology, the quantum reformer.

I am very suspect of one item, being the expectation to produce 100% hydrogen via just reformation. I am feeling these are just catch phases to jump on the green bandwagon. That said, I do see great benefit in dual stream, energy production, with a single feed stock and two marketable products. There's a company in the UK using a steel smelting to produce steel and recycle cement, same energy input but two marketable products. I've never seen these as being actually green but a prudent and efficient use of energy. Too many industries were built around the concept of a certain feedstock being cheap and highly available with no thought or care of efficient use of that feedstock. Maybe it's the engineer in me but I hate seeing things wasted when a small, possibly cost neutral or cost saving design change at the inception could have prevented the waste in the first place.

There is a sadder commentary to be made. In reading about Omnis Global Technologies and its owners, it appears, that based on previous companies they have started, their business strategy consists of: make amazing claim, secure all the public and private funding available, create the company, then try to sell it for a large profit, if they can't, they bail on the company with golden parachutes and let it go bankrupt and move on to the next "great green technology". WV has especially been victimized by corporate profiteering for ages and it would appear they are about to be again.

Time tested business model :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back