Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrogen Piping 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

odem

Coastal
Jul 16, 2001
US
I am looking for info on hydrogen piping design. I know there are some different design considerations than there are for natural gas, crude, etc. If any one has any info please let me know.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are the design and operating conditions for your hydrogen piping? What is the hydrogen partial pressure for your service? Depending on the temperature and hydrogen partial pressure you may not be able to use regular carbon steel materials. Check out API-941 ( Steels for Hydrogen Service at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures in Petroleum Refineries and Petrochemical Plants, for the so-called "Nelson" curves. This document will provide much guidance for material selection for hydrogen service.

Hello !

We have just completed re installing a portion of H2 line in our Plant. The Piping material is carbon steel and the valves istalled are very high valve leak proof Tech. Becareful, when we tested the line using water, It was ok. However when we run Nitrogen test , it was leak every where. The valves need special maintenance to repair. If you need more information I can provide u with it. The line which we installed was 40 Kg/cm2 Presure and ambiant temperture.

Thanks for the help. Sharq, what grade pipe was used? I am researching criteria for a Hydrogen Pipeline. Right now it is not known what the operating conditions will be. I just want to have a good idea of what I need to specify when I go out for quotes on material. Again thanks for the help.

Hello again,

The material is A53 Gr.B. I have to bring to your attention to the following requirement when ordering

1- Chemical cleaning is required after pipe fabrication if hydrogen is used in a sensitive process reaction. (If you want the procedure I can givre it to u later)

2- Testing of the line must be by air / Nitrogen !

3- The valve specification for this line is very important. If you want I can provide you with manufacturer name.

4- our operatin pressure as I have mentioned is 40 kg/cm2 , hence a 100% radiography is required for all welding (Tig weld) joints.

5- Be carefull of instrument / Analyzer sample points, it should be fitted perfect.

6- Good luck :)

SHARQ (samir)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back