Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrogen uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny

Chemical
Feb 29, 2000
US
I work at a olefins plant in the mid west. What C2s our poly plants don't use we ship in rail cars. This is to tell you how remote or stand alone we are. My question is we no longer have a buyer for our hydrogen (it was a ammonia plant that went out of business) now what do we do? We are using it in the fuel system with some problems. What can we do with this hydrogen either chemically or mechanically to make it an asset again? Any Ideas would be welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydrogen can be reacted with CO2 (an inexpensive raw matter) to produce synthesis gas (a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide, after purification from residual CO2 and water). Synthesis gas can be used to synthetize a lot of products, from methanol to liquid fuel, through the Fischer Tropsch process.

HYDROGEN MANLY USED IN AMMONIA METHNAOL AND REFINARY.

MY BE ONE OF THE BEST WAY IS TO CONTACT INDSTRIAL GAS COMPNAY SUCH AS LANDE, AIR PRODUCT OR AIR LIUQIDE THEY NORMAL INTERSTED IN HYDROGEN

Vinny,

Hydrogen has several applications. One way to use hydrigen is in Fuel cells you could power your own facility using the hydrigen that you generate more efficiently. Currently there is ONSI that makes Phosphoric acid fuel cells. Fuel Cell Energy that makes Molten Carbonate Fuel cells. Thay make modular 250kw to 3MW power plants.

Hope this helps.

Fuel Cell is the best option. However, u must think of the development cost for fuel cell. In fact, u could distribute it to the chem. labs which consumes H2 but it still depends on the quantity and the purity of H2 that u've produced anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back