Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrophillic coating on silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverbullet

Materials
Jul 15, 2005
IE
I have a large number of silicone mouldings which are absorbing too much water. The problem was due to using a silicone filled with precipitated silica rather than fumed silica. Precipitated silica absorbs up to 8% water whereas the fumed silica absorbs only 1.5%. I have tried drying the mouldings and painting with activated Silicone oil to reduce absorbtion but this did not work. Does anybody know of a coating or process which could reduce the water absorbtion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been advised that I might try impregnating the surface with a hydrophillic wax as this might occupy the water absorbtion sites. Does anybody know about these.

Um. I think you mean you want a hydrophobic coating, i.e. a coating which repels, or does not absorb, water.

Silicone oil is one of the most water-repellent substances around, but probably acts as a semi-solvent to your cured silicone rubber.

Yes. I do need a hydrophobic surface. My advice was to use a surficant which would attach its hydrophillic side to the silica filler and therefore present a hydrophobic surface. I am not happy with the results so far and I prefer the silicone oil solution. I have only tried one type of silicone oil. Are there many different oils and might one have significantly improved results over another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back