Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrostatic alternative of methanol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elowami

Chemical
May 18, 2016
LY
We have to hydrotest a heat exchanger, this exchanger used as ethylene vaporizer at -104C. This exchanger hydrotesting with methanol before which is not available now. Thus we are considering other mediums for hydrotest fluid. One idea floating around is to use nitrogen. I would like to know if anyone out there has expeience with hydrotesting in cryogentic area and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you proposing to hydrostatically test a vessel with liquid nitrogen? Please don't...use something which is a liquid, not a liquefied gas, at room temperature and pressure. The whole idea of a hydrotest is to reduce, to the maximum extent practical, the mechanical potential energy stored while the item is under test, because that energy would be released during a failure.

You didn't say it but I suppose that you want to test with a solvent in order to keep the unit clean and dry.
No, a liquefied gas is not a suitable test medium.
How is neither methanol or ethanol available? They are both very common industrial chemicals.
The only other things that I can think of are either far more expensive and.or more dangerous.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Hydro with water for safety then flush with methanol to dry. It is not a good idea to do hydro with a flammable liquid. Glycols could also be used instead of water. But again, hydro with water is so much more convenient and less expensive.

The only time that I ever did a hydro with Meth was because it so much less expensive then UHP water. And should I mention that it was in a cold climate in the winter.....

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Other liquids with low volatility and freeze point below -105degC are anhydrous ethanol (may be expensive at beyond 80%v/v), diethyl ether and dimethyl ether. Another commonly available liquid, acetone, has a borderline freeze point of -95degC. Also check out any HSE / handling /environmental disposal concerns. Agree MeOH may not be a good idea these days given its toxicity.

DME is a gas at room temperature, so you should avoid that one too. Diethylether is too hazardous to even think about using as a hydrotest fluid. Stick with Compositepro's excellent advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back