Hydrostatic test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabio Maciel

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2021
BR
hydrostatic test.

Would you like to know what is the acceptance criteria for a hydrostatic test in a boiler that presents a welling? (little leakage).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I’m not overly interested but eager enough to ask for more☺️. So yes, please delight us, if like to know😉

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

MJCronin,

At this time in history we all need to have those hard conversations. At least that's what I keep hearing.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

welding, NO NO NO
mechanical joints dripping and Boiler tubes dripping, may be accepted.
may be acceptable per each Inspectors criterion. better NO Leaks at all.

General Blr. CA,USA

thank you for everyone's support...
lesson shot that leaking is prohibited when welding the tubes, but small tears are acceptable in boring, because as soon as you pressurize with steam, the mirror expansion and mirror dilation will remove these tears.

For a hydro test on a boiler, the pressure gauge must not show any drop in pressure for a set amount of time. No amount of pressure drop is acceptable. That is none negotiable. On the boilers I sometimes work with the smoke box doors are meant to be open so that any leaks between the fire tubes and tube plate are visible. If there is a very small leak, but no visible pressure drop on the gauge the inspector might let it go, but they also might not. It obviously also depends on why there is a leak. If its a pinhole or crack on a weld then obviously thats a major failure and will never be acceptable. If its a very small leak where a tube was expanded against a tubeplate, akin to small drops weeping through, then the inspector might let it go if the pressure on the pressure gauge does not drop at all. [pre][/pre]Same goes for leaks on mudhole gaskets etc. Inspector is final authority, if they are not willing to sign then you drain boiler, fix and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back