Hydrostatic Uplift Vs Column Gravity Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

concrete12

Structural
Apr 26, 2023
AU
Hi All,

My current problem is that my column gravity loads (only self weight of the structure multiplied by a factor of 0.9) is less than the hydrostatic uplift (multiplied by a factor of 1.2). This is only problematic for one column.

When designing my hydrostatic slab (reinforced concrete), I have modelled all columns (aside from the problem column) as supports and modelled the problem column as a point load (acting in the opposite direction as the hydrostatic uplift). I was wondering what deflection I should be limiting the hydrostatic slab to at the location of the problem column as this column acts as a support for the 7 floors above the hydrostatic slab. Can anyone also advise where I can find this information in the Australian standards?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi XR250,

Yes the hydrostatic pressure for one specific column is larger than the dead load (self weight ) carried by the column. All other columns carry enough load.

Please note that the column without enough dead loads becomes an edge column, so it has a larger tributary area on the basement floor which attracts more hydrostatic pressure.

How can you attract more hydrostatic pressure?

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

As far as i understand , you modelled the raft slab supported by columns and loaded with hydrostatic uplift. Is this true ?

In this case the soil stress under subject column is not positif and uplift would develop then the raft probably will tilt ..

Will you post some more info . to understand the situation ?

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back