Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hypalon vs Neoprene

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
I have a cooling water connection on a diesel engine with a Neoprene jacket. The jacket is getting hard and cracking after about 5 years in service. I was thinking about switching to Hypalon. Is it likely that I will get a longer service life from Hypalon? My goal is 10 years. The joints are supposed to conform to ASTM F 1123 which rules out EPDM for the jacket.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Exposed to heat and the environment (does the sun ever hit this part?) 5 years is great life.
Yes there are materials that will last longer, but why not keep it simple and just replace it as part of regular maint?
If you call out something special it may never get replaced.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

No sunlight, it's in an engine room wrapped in fiberglass lagging.

The reason I want better longevity is because they are very expensive and I have many of them in my fleet. We're overhauling the engines once every 5 years. Replacing the expansion joints is 10% of the midlife overhaul cost of the engines, including labor!

Hypalon is a trademark for chlorosulfonated polyethylene (CSPE) synthetic rubber. It was a product of DuPont Performance Elastomers, a subsidiary of DuPont. I don't think DuPont makes it any more but there are lots of copycat materials available.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

The real problem with elastomers is that ones based on the same resin (say neoprene) will have significantly different aging characteristics.
The resins may be different, and fillers and catalysts definitely are.
Often longer life with high temp water means reduced mechanical properties (especially less 'rubbery').
You may need to be looking for a part that is multi-layered, with different compounds inside and outside.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I wonder if metal bellows joints would be acceptable. These engines are resilient mounted so they do move quite a bit. The exhaust outlet is a metal bellows and seems to hold up (two failed years ago due to the flow liner contacting the bellows but a little extra air gap fixed that). They're a heck of a lot less expensive, too.

You weren't exaggerating when you said significant aging differences. I found this very interesting article. While I don't really understand the results of the testing of EPR rubber, Neoprene aged to 50% elongation in 115-420 days depending manufacturer and Hypalon was 210-720 days. It seems like the Hypalon may last longer but it's not possible to make that conclusion from the information I have.

My only experience with Hypalon is as insulation in several sets of ignition wires.
... for the same car.
In ignition service, it's crap.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Well, I would certainly like to run silicone here as well but I don't know if it conforms to ASTM F 1123. I'm also not mentally prepared to see that price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back