Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hyperelastic curve fitting. Ask for advices

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowglow

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2014
FR
Hi, everyone

Currently I am working with rubber, trying to get characterize its behaviour during compression and implement this information to FEM software (ANSYS in my case). So, I made a series of compression tests with[/sup] cylindrical samples and two types of boundary conditions: one series of samples were glued to compression plates, another one were lubricated to decrease a barreling effect caused by friction between sample and compression plates. I know that for better fitting it is very good to use different modes of deformation, but at the moment I don't have facilities for making another types of tests, and, moreover, it maybe not necessary, because in application the rubber part works only in compression.So, after getting results of experiments I went to ANSYS, to make a curve fitting. So, here is my first questions is about fitting:

--- In the ANSYS help it is clearly said that I have to use Nominal (Engineering) stress and engineering strain for input data. It is quiet strange for me, because cross-section of rubber sample changes hardly during the test. W[/pre]as I right, when I used negative data for fitting (my test is compression)?

Fitting process was done, and I made model of my compression test to check how my fitted model works. I've decided to take a quarter of cylinder cross-section (if you watch from the side) and make a 2d axisymmetric modeling, so I took solid PLANE182 element for body, and CONTA175 and TARGE169 for contact and target surfaces respectively. For additional information I used tutorial VM201 from "ANSYS Mechanical APDL Verification Manual". So, my second question, the answer on which isn't clear for me:

--- How to choose the stiffness of surface-to-surface contact and how does it affect on further modelling? Is it necessary to use contact stiffness if I use a rigid target (for making target I made two nodes, and after created an element on these two nodes: TSHAP, LINE /n E,NODE1,NODE2).

Ok, I made my model and solved it. Loading conditions were set in displacement mode: 5mm compression displacement to 10mm in high and 25 mm in diameter cylindrical sample. There were two types of boundary conditions as in experiment: free or fixed bottom surface of the cylinder. In the end I've got very strange stress field: compression stress in X direction. My last question: there is mistake can be? I attached some pictures of fitting,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back