Hypochlorite scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjmurf

Specifier/Regulator
Apr 25, 2003
US
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using vacuum injection as a method to supply Hypochlorite? I would like to utilize some of the existing CL2 components while converting from Gas to Hypo. W&T offers a chlorinator for such use, LVN-2000.
In reading the literature, the pit fall seems like the water hardness can scale the injector.
My question is:
If the present injector is using gas without scaling,will there be a problem with Hypo?
The water hardness >400

tjmurf

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scaling is not a problem at all hypochlorite installations. Scaling will only be a concern with hard water characteristics, and moderate to low alkalinity values.

When using water to convey any chemical, it is important to keep the water velocity above a flushing velocity of 2 ft/sec and to flush the chemical conveying system whenever the chemical metering system is disrupted for any length of time.

I think the important thing in this entire conversation is that if you want to be sure.... somebody knowledgable has to do calculations. Then do the jar test to verify the calculations. Understand the chemistry behind it all and the solution that you will have to adopt will become clear.

The town the questioner is from has a municipal lime softening water treatment plant. If he talks to that department and understands the treatment process it will help him understand the challenge, the chemistry and the thinking behind what I am saying. Tjmurph...Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back