Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali2u

Chemical
Feb 26, 2004
US
Where can i find info on how to use hysis, since i am new user. I would appreciate if someone could send me a link on a webpage describing how to get started with hysis-

Thanx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ali2u,

I had a bad copy of HYSIS and couldn't get it to perform with any stability on my operating system. Two months later we finally got it running. So if you have having problems with it running consistantly complain loud and often... My problem was in March 2002, so hopefully the software company has gotten that problem sorted out....

Hysis is a less expensive tool than SIMSCI packages, but works.... I prefer SIMSCI products, but use both.

Simulation is hard to learn, akin to learning to speak a foriegn language, it takes time and is frustrating. Find someone who knows how to use the product and then schedule a hour or two a week with them to help you out. When stuck, spend an hour looking at the reference material and then call for assistance. Most effective use of time and resources...

Also if you understand the basic principals of the process, the modeling effort is easier. That is, having a complete heat and material balance of the process is a great start....

Firstly it is HYSYS not Hysis

I learnt HYSYS by going through the tutorials (paper copies) that came with the program. These give you a very basic background. I have also done the basic training course - which was similar to the tutorials - and the thing that I learnt is to build up the model slowly and check it as you go, ie make sure each part is converged before adding the next.

I learnt to be a "intermediate" user by having some graduate engineers learning how to use spreadsheets, databooks etc and then showing me. We had to go to the Hyprotech help desk a couple of times and they provided very prompt and helpful responses.

To learn the program properly, you need to use it.

Currently we use HYSYS to model facilities under different conditions and we find it very useful to use the spreadhseet function to put the conditions in and display a summary of the results. The results can then be recorded into a databook. The spreadsheet function gives you a single point to enter and review all of the important variables.

Remember rubbish in equals rubbish out

Tickle,

So True, problem is most users do not recognize garbage out.....

Always sit back and ask -- Does this make sense?

General rules...
Bottom of towers are almost always hotter than the top.
What comes out had to go in.
Neopentane does not occur naturally in concentrations larger than normal pentane.
No matter how simple the process seems, the modelling effort always consumes twice the time allocated...
Screen lab samples used for models. Often lab samples will not match temperature and pressure of tower overhead or bottoms..... Check by doing a simple flash. If they don't match, look for sampling/handling errors. I have seen this oversight consume many engineering hours....

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back