Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HYSYS pipeline elevation profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

memo94

Chemical
Mar 7, 2003
DE
Does any one know how to export a pipeline elevation profile data from an Microsoft Excel file to a Pipesys extension in HYSYS?!

I am going to simulate a 700 KM Pipeline and I have 27000!!!!!!!!point of elevation profile in an Excel file.

I do appreciate your replies.

Many thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Going from inlet to outlet, you must have all points that define new hydraulic grades. Then (in general) go back and fill in the high and low points in each 2 to 5 miles of segment lengths. Lastly go back and catch any major slopes that might have gotten missed. If you have more than an average of 1 point/2 miles, go back and try to eliminate some more. You should generally place more points around the highest elevation points in the pipeline, around at the lowest points, the local highs and lows, and generally more towards the end of the pipeline. Get rid of the rest.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

MortenA and BigInch,

Many thanks for your replies.
I have already plotted the profile coordinates in Excel.
The pipeline is passing through a sandy desert and then goes up to a rocky mountain region and then slop downward to a coast.
I can extract around 3000 to 4000 point out of these 27000.
But again entering all these 4000 to Hysys is a headache!!
and meanwhile there is a possibility of wrong data entering.

It is very strange if there is not anyway to export data from excel to Hysys.

Thank you!

Regards,

memo94,

1) You can export Excel data to Hysys. Ask Hysys support, at the very least you can do it with the OLE link or scripting tool.

2) Whether you should do it (number of points, applicability of Pipesys, etc) is another issue.

I don't use HYSYS, but if its like any other hydro program, IF it runs, it will be REALLY SLOW with that many points. Let me emphesize the "REALLY" and "SLOW" part. You won't have enough patience to wait to get anything out of it.

So far, I figure you need 4 points, begin, begin slope, high point, terminal. I suggest you start with those, add some points and see if you notice any difference in the hydraulics. If you do, keep adding until you don't get any difference anymore.

Besides, you don't need any segment longer than the speed of sound in the product medium X the shortest control response time increment you want to model, so that's probably about (liquid?) 3000 fps * 5 seconds = 15000 feet = about 3 miles. Thats where my recommendation for 1 point in 3-5 miles came from. I wasn't kidding. Neither am I when I say "SRALLY LOW". I suspect you'll probably be very bored when you write us next time. In the meantime, look forward to getting in some cat naps.

4000 points is going to be very painful in any program. Why so many? YOu better plan on letting the model run for a very long time. (days maybe?) And with that many transitions (not knowing what you are flowing) and that long of a run, and that many changes, is Hysys the right tool? (Olga?)

Scott Hoffman

Hysys or any other program running on anything short of Big Blue probably won't be able to make it, but one thing for sure... I don't think its the right model.

Just think of what that would have been like in the old days.... all those punch cards.... and reams and reams of paper printout ................streaming out the door of your office.

I have proceeded up to 500 KM of the whole pipeline that is 730 KM.
Up to now around 1500 points have been entered in HYSYS.
You are right if I put all these data in a single segment of pipesys, then it will be a bit slow. but if you creat the model in 5 segment each 100 KM then it will be fast enough.
Meanwhile I was looking for a way to copy and paste from excel to hysys and I found it.
All you need to do is to create a pipe set in pipesys datasheet and then copy and past it 100 or say X times then you should copy 100 or X number of data from Excel and simply paste it into your pipesys!
But the trick is:
If you are going to paste 1000 pair of data (distance, elevation) then you should already have created 1000 pipe set in your pipesys datasheet.

Anyway, I do appreciate all of you for your kind replies.

Regards,
Memo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back