Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hytrel Alternative? Riteflex? Costs? Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q.Brick

Industrial
Jan 20, 2018
DE
Hello.
For a Product i used Hytrel Variants. Its quite good, quite elastic with good memory (keeps in shape), but in my mind not perfect. The price (8€/KG) is quite high (i thought so...) and it has a negative aspect: When you press the products with your fingernail,the "dents" (little holes) stay (not like conventional Rubber, where the holes disappear because of the elasticity) and when you use the product gets sharp edges because of the abrasion. Hard to explain... But now i want to try an alternative Product, which should be very flexible (keep the shape) and is available in small amounts.

I saw in this Forum that Ritefley could be an Alternative. Ok, it is also an TPE based on PBT, but the only seller (from china, "TICONA" on the package...)offers it me for 25€/kg ! Thats not cheaper than Hytrel... Is this correct? Is Ritefley much more expensive? And if yes, why? Does it has a better quality and perhaps not the bad Material aspect i saw at Hytrel? Do you know other alternatives?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why did you choose Hytrel or similar in the first place? What properties are you looking for?
TPU has probably got better abrasion resistance but lower operating temperature limits. Abrasion resistance is very application dependent.

www.tynevalleyplastics.co.uk

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Did i not wrote it why i used Hytrel? Ok, its hard to explain in english, its part for musicians to use, so the aspect of flexibility is important, how to say, "elasticity"? "memory"? "shape memory"? So, when you compare PA and PBT it is so, that PBT keeps better in shape, has a better "shape memory", more "flex"... "resiliently"??? So thats why i used Hytrel because it contains PBT and has this kind of "shape memory". But as i say, this "shape memory" is not in "micro-level". I think conventional TPU will perhaps has better abrasion resistance, but i think it will not be such elastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back