Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am a young engineer who lacks confidence, professionalism and maturity. Looking for advice! 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewEngineer652

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2015
US
Hello Everyone,

I graduated from college about 8 months ago and working as a mechanical engineer now in California. I have read many posts on this group and they have helped me a lot. There are certain specific problems I have at work and I want to improve myself and learn more to be better. A lot of people have told me that I will become good with time and I need experience in order to achieve what I expect from myself. I believe hard work and determination can reduce that time and I can learn quicker and faster by focusing on what I want, instead of waiting for time. This is the motivation behind this post. Can you please tell me how I should handle the following problems at work.

(1). I lack confidence because the people I work with have more than 25 years of experience. They can sense, analyse and solve a problem in no time. I am afraid I will make mistake infront of them.

(2). In the meetings, I am very quite. I am not sure what to talk about sometimes. Our vendors visit us at our facility to talk about the parts they machine for us. In other words, I can go to meetings and just sit without effecting anything.

(3) Replying to emails is a part of my job. I was not born, raised in United States and moved here about 8 years ago. I want to make sure my emails are correct, professional and logical.

(4) My boss doesn't trust my calculations and suggestions. He checks my drawings with extra attention and assumes I am wrong every time.

I hope I hear from you all. My goal is to improve and be a very good Engineer.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have about 6 months of working experience, and I understand quite well your situation. Like others have said, be like a sponge for knowledge but don't forget to question every task that you are supposed to do, but in a polite and humbling way. This in my experience will get you far, because the task giver will go deeply in the subject and you can learn a lot about his way of thinking.
You just have to realize, that gaining experience takes some time which everybody you work with knows, because they were all in your shoes at some point in their carer.

Cheers!

Bring confidence and belief in yourself. Analyse the facts and resolve it. Hard working is only a part of success and not the single strategy of success. It does not depend upon your hard work but it depends on how to work in a different way.

Best of luck.
----------------------------------

You can visit yutongo that has a unique creativity process and will produce high quality ideas. You can get free plans here.
[URL unfurl="true"]http://yutongo.com[/url]

I face the same issue as item 4, and it's kind of reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. My supervisor goes through my calculations so thoroughly I feel like he is trying to pick my mistakes. Luckily, he points them out all the time and "advises" me to change them.

But I face another major problem too: a lack of confidence to make decisions.

SkyeTan said:
My supervisor goes through my calculations so thoroughly I feel like he is trying to pick my mistakes.
Well, he is! Why would that surprise you? It's his butt on the line if you make a mistake, and 'twere it me, I'd be doing the same.

Confidence comes from getting it right more often than not... as your boss finds less and less mistakes and you get it right more often, your confidence in decision making will grow.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

If your boss is still finding legitimate mistakes, then he should be checking. Until your work quality gets to the point of having only inconsequential mistakes or none at all, your boss shouldn't stop checking.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

MacGyverS2000

I wouldn't use the word surprised to describe my feelings. Insecure would be the more appropriate word here. A fair bit of mix emotion running along in this stage: I understand the importance of all the things he do to guide me but at the same time I really wish to accelerate through this process to help him and the company do well. Guess some things can't be rushed, eh?

SkyeTan,

It's fine to not be comfortable making a decision. When you go to someone more experienced to make that decision, present the problem and present what you think is the best way to deal with it. As time goes by, you'll find them agreeing with you more and more. Once that begins happening, they'll start trusting your judgement and so will you.

Reporting to your superior on a technical issue ends up progressing like this as you gain experience.

1. "I think there's a problem with <blah> and I want to approach it like <blah> but it doesn't seem right. Can you help me?"
2. "I found a problem with <blah> and got the result <blah>. I think that means I should do <blah>. Is that right?
3. "I found a problem with <blah>. I am going to do <blah> to fix it, okay?"
4. "I did <blah> because <blah>"

If these have been suggested, sorry.

Find a mentor inside the company or outside, if needed. Find a sponsor inside the company.

You are going through what all of us go through in the beginning. Learn to not be so hard on yourself, too. That goes a long way in this life.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

You're in a great position. I am the new guy at my job also as an engineering technician working with some impressive coworkers. Some of whom are on an entirely different skill level than I am.

Here are some good things about the things you listed

1- If you make a mistake around these guys, its probably the same mistake they have made at least once. 25 years of engineering experience? You have a lot of mistakes to make before you will ever catch up to them!!

2- Nothing wrong with being quiet. The best advice that I ever got for settings like this was "never miss a good opportunity to keep your mouth shut". But if you have a good idea or something to say, say it and look 'em right in the eyes.

3- Be respectful, focused, and concise in your emails.

4- That is part of his job. Its a great opportunity for you to prove your skills and improvements

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back