<br>
The basic functionality of the PLC can be summarized as:<br>
- Read a set of inputs (Analog/ digital)<br>
- Start/ stop/ update/ check a set of internal timers<br>
- Process the inputs, timer conditions and previous outputs<br>
as per the logic programmed by the user, to arrive at a<br>
new set of outputs.<br>
<br>
The user can program the PLC using a PC OR plug-in programmer OR other similar ways.<br>
<br>
The inputs can be analog (with specific voltage & current ranges) or digital. For analog values, there will be an inbuilt ADC/DAC in the PLC.<br>
<br>
Another advantage is that most of the PLC's are modular. With the main processor unit, different I/O modules may be added as per your requirement. And in case of failure, it's easy to identify the defective module- you need to replace only that.This means, in a continuous production line, the down time can be minimized to a great extent.

I'm not sure what you're looking for.<br>
<br>
Most PLC manufacturers provide installation and programming manuals with their products.<br>
<br>
Installation is generally pretty simple. Each input and output device will be connected to the PLC at a specific node, which the PLC will address. The most common problem here is how the common inputs are connected.<br>
When connecting inputs, the PLC is both the source and the load for each input signal. The common can either be + with respect to the input node or -. As long as all inputs are connected the same way, it generally doesn't matter.<br>
When connecting outputs, the output device is the load to the PLC, and polarity again is not generally important, as long as it is consistant.<br>
<br>
Programming a PLC is alot like programming in assembly language. The format used is usually "Ladder Logic" which will produce a program that resemble a relay logic diagram.<br>
<br>

Actually i need some literature on programming of micrologix plcs.can any body guide me in this aspect.also i have been working with allen bradley plc.i want to know about other manufacturers in this subject.

I've some user manual material on micro-logix 1000 PLC's. Let me know your e-mal id, if you need that.<br>
<br>
I can be reached at umn@ieee.org

If you want to know and learn more about PLCs, then best way site is This site is one of the best available on the net with an online tutorial. Also it has an interactive Q&A BBS where you can post your questions and also try to answer some if you know.<br>
<br>
If you really want to learn PLC programming then a free PLC simulator is also available called as Prof. Bills simulator. More can be found on the site I mentioned above.

Hi there,<br><br>Maybe you can help me with my PLC simulation?<br>I am using Bytronic International's LADSIM program?<br>Any help would be useful, I am working on a <br>Drinks machine and Life &lt;Elevator&gt;<br><br>Please e-mail me <br><br><A HREF="mailto:testpilot@doctor.com">testpilot@doctor.com</A>

plcs.net is useful but it is very basic in nature.<br>if others know about more advanced tutorials on plcs please tell me.<br>thank you&nbsp;&nbsp;from <A HREF="mailto:sunilrathaur@usa.net">sunilrathaur@usa.net</A>

Hi There
On the subject of plcs and ladder logic - is there

1. A free ladder logic program available
2. A simulation type program available that can be tailored to application prior to purchasing equipment

I have used Allen Bradley slc500 (I Think) as a student where the Logic Prog is written in a DOS fired program and then downloaded onto the target system.. Is this still the way things are ??

3. Is distributed control possible with plcs ??

I have looked on the

Kieran9, to answer some of your questions,

As far as I know there are no free ladder logic programs, I believe each PLC has their own programming software. Some PLC software packages have a simulator option - I've used the Siemens S7-300 simulator and it is excellent (but expensive.

Finally what exactly do you mean by distributed control?

You may want to post these questions on another discussion site at: I've gotten some answers from this site.

ýName: HAYTHEM SAAD ELDIN CHAHAATý
ýDate of Birth: 22,Sep ’1973ý
ýE-mail: HAYTHEM101@HOTMAIL.COMý
ýAddress: 19 George Abide St., Apt #25ý
ýCampshezar, ý
ýAlexandriaý
ýEgypt.ý
ýI am graduate from Faculty of Electronic Engineering. Department of Computer Science and Engineering, in May ýý1999. I am Work as Automation Engineering in Rolling Steel Company and I am interested with your products ýýplease can you send to me more Details about your Products.ý

Kieran9,
Referring to your #3 question; What is distributed control? If you are referring to adding more I/O drops through a distributed network off of one PLC's CPU, for control then basically you have two or more racks. In the first rack will be your Power Supply, CPU, various input &amp; output cards, or analog cards,etc, and a Distributed I/O Drop card that will link Rack 1 and its CPU to another rack that has a Power Supply, a Distributed I/O Drop card (to communicate with first rack), and other various input/output cards..etc for contolling more input/output points then you have available because of slot limitation on first rack. I hope this is what you may be asking about and helps you get an idea. Check with Modicon Quantum PLC by Schneider Electric for a reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back