Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I am looking for a fee on-line cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

spatzENGR

Civil/Environmental
Feb 21, 2003
US
I am looking for a fee on-line cost catalog, perferibly for Pennsylvania. Any Ideas???????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You know....like a State Department of Transportation cost estimating catalog. It lists items like 18" HDPE pipe and will give a couple of average costs for that product throughout the state. Every DOT has one. I need one for PA...I have slim hope but I was wondering if anyone on the net in digital form.

Don’t know of anything on the net but check out the R.S.Means series.
They are available electronically (on CD format) and have location factors for all of Canada and the USA. (Paper copies also available)

Like all estimating tools they have to be applied with some considerable knowledge of what you are doing. For example, there are listed optimum and suggested crew sizes. These crews may not be available at your location without significant mobilization and demobilization costs. Also local site factors will cause the actual costs to vary greatly from those in the program.

My experience with the company's data, both paper and electronic formats, is that the estimate is as good as the effort put into generating the necessary detail to compile the estimate. You can get order of magnitude estimates quickly and easily or you can get a detailed cost breakdown with considerable effort.
Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

I would call your state dot or county dot and ask them for it. they will likely have a spreadsheet with annual cost data for projects constructed, or they may give you paper copies of bid summaries from completed projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back