Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I am looking for a High Temperature E-stop / pushbutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpwillard

Chemical
Nov 1, 2004
US
I am looking for a pushbutton or a pushbutton manufacturer who may sell e-stops rated for high temperatures over 220 deg. F. I am looking for a US supplier. I have talked to several people including allen bradley, telemecanique and others. No one seems to have a part for this application. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JPW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's a tough spec, 110C is beyond the thermal limits of most insulating plastics that would be necessary for the contact module. Rees make all metal mushroom head push buttons, but the contact block is rated for 55C (131F) max. You will most likely need to stick to MIL spec stuff, but then you may need to get creative as to how you do the E-Stop circuit.

For instance, these switches are available with 110C rating (Gold line), but they are not what we typically consider n E-Stop type of switch.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

Going MIL spec may not even work. MIL-DTL-2212 for fighting ship controls only requires 50C operation, and that is usually one of the toughest MIL specs to meet.

Good luck on that.

This is an application where the inside of a large room is heated up. The e-stop is only for safety, and a last resort, in the event that someone actually gets inside this place.

JPW

That's the best approach IMHO. Use what are called Cable Operated Switches, and locate the switch itself in a more tolerable area. Then you can have the cable accessible inside your room, and preferrably even situated so that it can be reached from the floor or standing up. I used to do that for powered exit doors in blast booths (bead blasting, not explosions), not becase of temperature but because of limited visibility if the vent fans shut down. When someone needs to exit in a hurry, you need to anticipate their condition at the time. If they have already fallen and are crawling for the exit, a cable switch can be a life saver. Look at Rees Inc., they specialize in that type of application.

jpwillard
I have had such a need for a like device. However I used an anodized red palm button (made in house) with a push rod through the wall to a lower temperature area. The push rod making momentary switch action would cause an alarm condition which needed human intervention to reset. Once triggered heating/cooling would cease and door(s) would be unlatched or prevented from latching. Signage is added to help guide a person who may be trapped within the chamber, to do the right steps to extricate them selves.

Do not be afraid to do too much to save a life.

regards

pennpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back