Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I am looking for help. This is abou

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrabhatC9

Civil/Environmental
Nov 22, 2023
CA
I am looking for help. This is about a church project where no municipal supply is available. The municipality has asked to provide water storage calculations to deal with fire protection. Also, we have been asked to request a variance. There are three fire stations nearby from 2.5 Km to 7 Km. Based on FUS, the water requirements is 60,000 gallons. The nearest residence from the property is 250m. We are planning to abstract underground water through water well. Please let me know if you have any thoughts of variance rationales, water requirement calculations as required by National Building Code of Canada, and any relevant information. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not clear what you are looking for so a few questions.

Is the water supply connected to a fire pump or is it a static supply? If a static supply is the 60 k gallons ie a tank, a pond, etc. If a pond did you add for the pond being frozen given its in Canada? Did you talk to the Fire Department what do they want? Is this a drafting site for them? How far is the building to the water source? Will the building have an automatic fire sprinkler system? Did you talk to the insurance property carrier for input?

Tom

New project?
FUS ??

How big?

What fire protection is required?

60,000 gallons presumably for one hour is 1,000 GPM. That's a lot.

How far away is a municipal supply?

Would the well provide enough capacity on its own?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Sounds like contact the consultant

Not an engineer

1. If rely on fire department only, building will burn to ground

2. Not a well person, but do not think it will supply 1000 gpm

3. Same with pond , that might be a maybe, just do not know about freezing

How far away is the nearest city water main???

Good luck. You might look around for newer projects in the area, to see what they did

When I was a volunteer firefighter in a rural area with limited public water supply we had new home developments install underground 30,000 gallon storage tanks. We had both a fill side and drafting point. So we could start drafting until a tankers from surrounding areas could respond and either fill the tank or set up a drafting site. I was involved with the concept and implementation of the tanks. It was based on an ISO requirement of 250 gpm for 2 hours hence the 30,000 gallons. We got ISO to accept the tanks so any home within 1000 ft got a lower ISO rating.

@LCREP
This is a new project. Based on FUS study and applying all variance (auto sprinkler system, occupancy and exposure), the water storage requirement on site is 60,000 gallons. We want to install an underground fiber optic tank for max 30,000 gallons capacity. Main floor area is 1568m2 and second floor is 837m2 with basement and kitchen 1568m2. We don't have City's water supply. Q1. How to calculate the water supply requirement based on the National Building Code? Q2. What's the basis of variances to consider outside of occupancy, exposure, and auto sprinkler system? Q3. Is there any Fire Protection Consultants in Edmonton or Alberta who has experience in rural properties or similar exposure? Thanks

@LittleInch
This is a new project. Based on FUS study and applying all variance (auto sprinkler system, occupancy and exposure), the water storage requirement on site is 60,000 gallons. We want to install an underground fiber optic tank for max 30,000 gallons capacity. Main floor area is 1568m2 and second floor is 837m2 with basement and kitchen 1568m2. We don't have City's water supply. Q1. How to calculate the water supply requirement based on the National Building Code? Q2. What's the basis of variances to consider outside of occupancy, exposure, and auto sprinkler system? Q3. Is there any Fire Protection Consultants in Edmonton or Alberta who have experience in rural properties or similar exposure?

Given the number of churches that have burned to the ground in Alberta recently and over the past few years, I would guess variances to ABC and AFC are not that easy to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back